This guide is applicable for Kaltura CE version 3.0.x based Rackspace Cloud Images
The Kaltura Community Edition is a free, open-source, self-hosted video platform. It is developed through the combined efforts of Kaltura and the community and is available under the GNU Affero General Public License v3
This installation guide helps you understand how to work with Kaltura's Rackspace Cloud image so you can get up and running using Kaltura's Community Edition.
Getting Your Rackspace Credentials
Kaltura offers a pre-configured Rackspace image of our Community Edition that can get you up and running in short order. If you don't already have an Rackspace Cloud account, you will need to signup for an account at Rackspace.
To bring up the Kaltura image, you will need your Rackspace Cloud username and API key. Your API key can be found by logging into your Rackspace Cloud account, going to the "Your Account" tab, and then to the "API Access" tab.
Choosing a domain name for your instance
Before you install Kaltura CE, decide if you want to use your own domain name, the IP address, or the dynamic domain name provided by Rackspace
(example: 50-56-75-9.static.cloud-ips.com). Once Kaltura is installed, you cannot change this setting.
Configuring mail service for your instance
Rackspace does not provide a mail server for your instance. The Kaltura CE depends on mail service to create new Publisher accounts. So, you need to configure a mail service for your instance before you install the CE. The images are configured to use Postfix as the mail agent, but you can install anything you like.
If you choose to use Postfix, you have two basic choices:
- Sign up at Sendgrid.com. This is 100% free for up to 200 emails per day. New signups will usually get activated in less than four hours and then you simply add your username/password to the Postfix installation by editing the main.cf file (the main.cf is already configured for Sendgrid):
sudo vi /etc/postfix/main.cf
sudo service postfix restart
- Use another service such as AuthSMTP or Postini. Also, if you have your own SMTP server and know how to configure Postfix, you can go that route as well. You can also install Sendmail or any other mail server you like.
You will need your username and API key. Kaltura provides a handy form that will launch the Kaltura server in your Rackspace Cloud account.
Once you've brought up an instance and logged in via SSH, you're ready to install the CE.
- You should first configure the mail system as outlined above.
- Change directory to /opt/kaltura_install
- Run the install script: sudo php install.php
- Enter your email address and password when prompted.
- Enter your domain name when prompted.
Your Kaltura installation is now installed at /opt/kaltura
Look at the README.txt file in the root user home directory for installation notes.