MimeType "video/h264"

3 replies [Last post]
Joined: 02/14/2011
Points: 53

Using the library of mwEmbed (html5) included with an installment of Kaltura CE 5 (when you mark the option "Support iPhone & iPad with HTML5" in the preview entry, inside the KMC), I tried to view a video with an Iphone. I pasted the code that the KMC's Preview section gives to the user in a webpage. The video has the flavor of the Iphone (h264 baseline), so it should work without any problems, but, the Iphone doesn't even show the Play button in the middle of the player.
When I was searching in the code the mwEmbed library injects as a fallback for the Object tag, I saw something like this:

<video [...]>
    <source src="http://myserver.com/video.mp4" type="video/h264">

So, the question is... why video/h264? It is not even a mimetype supported by the SOURCE tag!!!!
The reason of letting the browser check or render the data of the source video is not valid in this case, so I don't understand this.

FYI the version of the library used was the 1.5.9, and of course, I've changed every piece of code that inserts the "type='video/h264'" by the mimetype "video/mp4".

Joined: 02/22/2009
Points: 76

Your are essentially correct, but the w3c is incorrect to list video/mpeg. The correct use of the type attribute would list: "video/mp4; codecs="avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2" .. I have since made this correction for correctness:

But I don't think that is the problem your having. ( that type attribute was mostly only used internally )

Your ruining a very old version of the html5 library. Is it possible for you to upgrade?

Joined: 02/14/2011
Points: 53

First of all, thanks for your answer.
Well, I've modified a file from my own server (standalone ver.), and I'm managing all the files with my own svn (just to be able to see the history, and revert any change I don't want anymore), but yes, I can upgrade my html5 library without any problems.

After some research, I've seen that the main problem is that the Iphone (which I'm using for testing), or more accurate, its browser doesn't accept that mimetype. I was, tecnically speaking, wrong. Every device and its browser should accept these standard video mimetypes: http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/video/index.html
But I cannot change how every browser manages the "standard", so the mwEmbed wasn't working for me :(

Anyway, thanks again for your interest, and obviously I'm going to try upgrading just to see if it works now.

See ya!

Joined: 05/27/2013
Points: 22

Nice posts are display in this blog that to using the great info is visible in this blog http://goo.gl/hRQVH. I am really thank you very much for providing the different articles and the interesting info in this website http://goo.gl/mJBnN.