Kaltura Community Edition is a free, open-source, on-premise Video Platform, developed through the combined efforts of Kaltura and the community.
The platform enables video management, publishing, syndication and monetization, as well as providing a robust framework for managing rich-media applications, and developing a variety of online workflows for video. The latest version of the Community Edition also includes enterprise level administration and monitoring tools.
With Kaltura Community Edition, you benefit from many existing Kaltura applications and widgets designed for media companies, universities and enterprises.
Kaltura Community Edition is ideal for:
- Publishers that want to host the video platform and content at their own datacenter or on the cloud
- Service providers or web-developers that want to provide video management and delivery solutions to the web sites that they build or provide services for
- ISV and Platform developers that want to integrate video into their platform, adding video management and delivery to the platform offering
- CDNs, ISPs and hosting providers that want to add video management and delivery services to their offering
- Enterprises that want to manage video and rich media content behind the firewall
- Universities that want to manage video in conjunction with their LMS, or a campus wide video portal
- Any site - combined with Kaltura’s open source extensions for leading CMS and LMS platforms (including Drupal, Joomla, Moodle, Sakai and Wordpress)
Host it on your servers or on the cloud
You can set up and host Kaltura Community Edition on your own server/s or on the cloud. It comes with a full Administration Console
, supporting multi-publisher management, batch processing control, monitoring and more. The platform also includes the Kaltura Management Console (KMC)
, supporting content ingestion, video and playlist management, player design, video analytics , rich-media syndication, advertising and much more - all within an intuitive user interface
Integrate, Extend, Get Involved
Kaltura Community Edition’s robust online-video framework is comprised of APIs, client libraries and self-contained widgets and applications. It allows you to easily design, develop and integrate rich-media workflows and extend the platform according to your needs. We invite you to get involved with a community development project or start a project yourself!
Kaltura CE Packager
To build a working Kaltura environment, clone the latest
and submodules from Kaltura's GitHub repositories
, and follow the instructions in the README
packaging/package.php script uses the
packaging/manifest.ini file to select which components are required for installation and then packages those into a php based installer from the git submodules included in this repository.
The installer package, once created, is used to install and configure a Kaltura server.
To see the entire process of obtaining prerequisites on CentOS/Amazon Linux, packaging an installer, and installing Kaltura CE, the screencasts can be viewed here.
To setup a development environment, consult docs/development-environment.md